Tuesday, May 4, 2010

California Trip – Part I: The Ocean

I'm catching up on some of my oldest, previously-started-but-never-finished blog posts. Beware they are very old. Forget about being slow to post your Easter blog--just wait until I post our Christmas one. Haha. Oh well. So, here we go. Also, be forewarned, this one is mostly a picture narrative.

Shane’s youngest brother, Joseph, graduated from the Marines the week before Christmas and he treated us all to a trip to balmy California for his graduation. While the rest of the family went to the early morning festivities on base, the four of us sneaked away to give Rain her first ocean experience. I’d say it was a hit.


(Notice she was dressed cute for the day. You'll appreciate the fact as the narrative unfolds)


At first we weren’t sure about all that water, even though Dad was there.


So Mom rolled up her pants and tried her hand at negotiation.
(I'm not sure why I bothered. My pants were soaked the rest of the day anyway.)


Nice and slow


Look at all that water!


The weather was nice, but the water was cold. It was December, after all.

She decided she would get down for awhile


"Aahhhh, here comes the water!"


Rain tried to keep her balance as the water swirled around her feet.

I’m not sure what I was explaining, but by Rain’s expression, it must have been pretty grim.

Her pants were so heavy with water, we finally just stripped down to the diaper.


Chasing waves was her favorite part!


Preparing for the next wave. Bring it on!

Going solo . . .dun, dun, dun!

Good thing mom was there for backup.

Mesa slept in her carseat the whole time we were there, which wasn't super long, but long enough for Rain to decide that she loved the ocean and DID NOT want to leave. By the end of the excursion she had lost all fear of the water, and would run straight into the path of the oncoming waves. My fear level heightened considerably as I tried to make her retreat before she was bowled over and lost under the rolling tide.

When it really WAS time to leave, we had to pick Rain up and carry her, kicking and screaming, back to the car. Of course, then she had to stand by the car while I tried to clean the sand off her with wet wipes. Note to self: Next time I head to the ocean, be prepared to douse everything with jugs of water in an attempt to banish all the sand. I'm thinking it's an impossible feat without a good ol' bath/shower. 

But all in all, it was fun and I think Rain was secretly happy, she just was too tired to tell us through the tears at the end.



(Apologies for the bounciness in filming)


(To be continued . . . )

2 comments:

  1. How Fun! The Ocean is a blast for little kids. Rain's cute how much she loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! The ocean is so fun to play in, until its time to go and everything is sticky with salt and sand is coming out of EVERYTHING :) Looks like so much fun. Cant wait for Part 2

    ReplyDelete